Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Free Falling

"Freefall is a method some writers discover spontaneously, but many have to (re?)learn: the technique of writing from the larger Self, beyond reach of the ego and its censors. As the name suggests, Freefall invokes the courage to fall without a parachute, into the words as they come, into the thoughts before they have fully formed in the mind, into the unplanned structures that take shape, without prompting, to contain them."
From: http://www.freefallwriting.com/

I have learned that there are various types of Freefall writing, much of it can be personal, and that can, in a way, be considered the purest form. In some of the writing classes I have taken Freefall is used as either a warm-up exercise, or for the duration of the class.

Sometimes though, especially on a Saturday morning, or after a busy day of work, the mind may not want to turn on the tap of creativity. To break the whitespace that is the page, a word, or phrase, is sometimes used.

Generally what happens is at the start of the class we write short words or phrases and toss them into a pot. Before the Freefall starts, one is randomly selected and that is a potential topic, for those that want that first word to bring the focus on the writing.

I have taken a full day course on Freefall writing, and have signed up for another in about 10 days. At the last one, a character came to me halfway through the day, at the start of one of the Freefall sessions. His story I feel is going to be told through this method. Each chapter unknown until that slip of paper is pulled from the pot to lead him down his next path.

I have a feeling I know who this character is, but, like anyone you meet for the first time, what they say and do may not be all they appear to be (but is usually not far from the mark). Through these chapters (which I will post here, but with irregularity), I will learn his true nature and if he is all I think him to be, or deceptive in his appearance and initial actions.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I know this as free flow writing or something like that. I love writing like that... just grab the pencil and let the words flow from your mind to the paper. It can make for some beuatiful pieces of writing.